Education and Training Programs
Remote Beginner and Advanced iPhone are offered in a small group setting. iPhone instruction will teach the basic skills for using your phone with Voiceover and gestures.
Students will be scheduled either for Monday & Thursday or Tuesday & Friday lessons. Lesson times, start dates, and end dates will be set directly with the instructor. There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away.
IOS VoiceOver Accessible App Workshops
A variety of iPhone App Workshops will be offered throughout the year in a small group setting. All interested ASB participants are welcome to attend. No iPhone experience is necessary, just an interest in using an iPhone with apps that can change your life.
Please Note: There will be a student app workshop break the week of November 9, 10 and 11. All App Workshop classes will resume the following week. This break is only for the iPhone App workshops. All other ASB activities will continue as scheduled.
- Uber: Tuesdays at 9 a.m. from October 19 to November 23
- Learn how to schedule a ride anytime, to anywhere and for any reason you desire!
- Moovit: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. – October 19 to November 23
- An easy-to-use app for finding public transportation to and or from a desired location.
- YouTube: Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m. from October 19 to November 23
- Learn how to search, watch videos and subscribe or unsubscribe from a YouTube channel.
- Instacart: Wednesdays at 10 a.m. – October 20 to November 24
- Learn how to Shop online and have groceries delivered right to your front door!
- Participant’s choice! App Q&A Workshop: Wednesdays at 11:15 a.m. – October 20 to November 24
- Want to learn about different apps? Looking for a quick app overview? Have iPhone app questions? Then, this workshop is for you.
- Amazon: Thursdays at 10:15 a.m. – October 21 to November 18
- Learn how to shop online and have anything you desire delivered right to your front door!
- Facebook: Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. – October 21 to November 18
- Learn how to keep in touch with family and friends and buy and sell on the marketplace using the Facebook app.
Orientation without Mobility
This class will enable the participant to learn to mentally map a route to and from any destination within the city using compass directions. While walking or using public transit this knowledge will enable a person, sighted or not, to maintain their direction and recover any misdirection they make.
Lesson times, start dates and end dates will be set directly with the instructor. There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away depending on the instructor’s availability.
Home management workshops are group sessions where participants will discuss strategies and learn techniques to live more independently. Each workshop will focus on a specific topic area of home management. The Home Management program is currently on hold, but we are still adding interested participants to the waiting list and limited opportunities for one-on-one sessions and small workshops are available.
Braille lessons offer an opportunity for students to learn the Unified English Braille code and increase their braille fluency. Braille lessons allow students to work on reading and writing, which helps them become more independent. Braille instruction is currently on hold, but we are still adding interested participants to the waiting list.
Computer instruction teaches the basic skills for using a computer with JAWS or works to sharpen skills in the advanced class. The Computer Instruction program is currently on hold, but we are still adding interested participants to the waiting list.
Enrichment & Support Programs
- Yoga for All (Last class 11/22/2021) from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Get your blood flowing with this exciting program! No previous experience required and experienced Yogi’s are welcome.
- Trivia (Ongoing weekly) 1 – 3 p.m.: Test your knowledge and have fun at the same time. This is an exciting way to keep your mind stimulated and learn a variety of tidbits to share with your friends.
- 60 Minutes to Better Self Care (Ongoing weekly) from 1 – 2 p.m.: Want to learn how to improve your health during COVID-19 and beyond? Join this group to learn how to combat depression, anxiety, Alzheimer’s Disease and much more.
- Movement with the PA Ballet (Last class 11/10/21) from 11 – 12 p.m.: These remote workshops will focus on the physical technique and artistry of ballet and movement. Attendees will be encouraged to tell their stories through movement, promoting the idea that communication need not be verbal or visual. You will also learn about the physical health benefits that consistent movement has on the body and mind.
- Women’s Peer Support Group (Next group forming soon) from 10 – 11 a.m.: Join this group to discuss issues facing women who are Blind or experiencing vision loss.
- Men’s Peer Support Group (Next group forming soon): Having difficulty talking with friends and family about your loss of vision? Join this group and share thoughts and ideas with peers.
- AARP (Ongoing weekly) from 2 – 3 p.m.: Want to learn the latest news for the Silver Panthers? Join this group to see how AARP is working for you.
- Speaker Series: ASB will welcome professionals from health and other fields to speak to our participants for an hour about topics that are important to health and welfare, finance, legal assistance and much more!
- Hadley School on October 29 from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Feinbloom Low Vision on November 5 from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Health Partners discussing Cholesterol, Keeping it Under Control, on December 3 from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Health Partners discussing Diabetes, It’s a Family Matter, on December 17 from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Health Partners discussing Alzheimers and Dementia, on Janurary 14 from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Keeping Up with the Times (Ongoing weekly) from 1 – 3 p.m.: Feeling isolated? Not aware of what is happening outside? Join this group for lively discussions on COVID-19, social distancing and what is happening in the world around you.