Education and Training Programs
iPhone and Computer Instruction
Remote Beginner and Advanced iPhone is offered in a small group setting. iPhone instruction will teach the basic skills for using your phone with Voiceover and gestures.
Students will be scheduled either for Monday & Thursday or Tuesday & Friday lessons. Lesson times, start dates, and end dates will be set directly with the instructor. There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away.
IOS VoiceOver Accessible App Workshops
A variety of iPhone App Workshops will be offered throughout the year in a small group setting. All interested ASB participants are welcome to attend. No iPhone experience is necessary, just an interest in using an iPhone with apps that can change your life.
Please Note: There will be a student app workshop break the week of September 21, 22 and 23. All App Workshop classes will resume the following week. This break is only for the iPhone App workshops. All other ASB activities will continue as scheduled.
- Lyft: Tuesdays at 9 a.m. from August 31 to October 5
- Learn how to schedule a ride anytime, to anywhere and for any reason you desire!
- Newsline: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. – August 31 to October 5
- Learn how to read magazines and newspapers from all over the world!
- BARD: Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m. from August 31 to October 5
- Learn how to search for, download and listen to books and magazines.
- Instacart: Wednesdays at 10 a.m. – September 1 to October 6
- Learn how to Shop online and have Groceries delivered right to your front door!
- Participant’s choice! App Q&A Workshop: Wednesdays at 11:15 a.m. – September 1 to October 6
- Want to learn about different apps? Looking for a quick app overview? Have iPhone app questions? Then, this workshop is for you.
- Seeing AI and Tap Tap See: Thursdays at 9 a.m. – September 2 to October 7
- Learn how to independently read mail, printed documents, product barcodes, use facial recognition, identify money and more!
- Amazon: Thursdays at 10:15 a.m. – Septmeber 2 to October 7
- Learn how to shop online and have anything you desire delivered right to your front door!
- Facebook: Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. – Septmeber 2 to October 7
- Learn how to keep in touch with family and friends and buy and sell on the marketplace using the Facebook app.
Orientation without Mobility
This class will enable the participant to learn to mentally map a route to and from any destination within the city using compass directions. While walking or using public transit this knowledge will enable a person, sighted or not, to maintain their direction and recover any misdirection they make.
Students will be scheduled for sessions on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Lesson times, start dates and end dates will be set directly with the instructor. There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away depending on the instructor’s availability.
Braille lessons offer an opportunity for students to learn the Unified English Braille code and increase their braille fluency. Braille lessons allow students to work on reading and writing, which helps them become more independent. Braille instruction is currently on hold, but we are still adding interested participants to the waiting list.
Computer instruction teaches the basic skills for using a computer with JAWS or works to sharpen skills in the advanced class. The Computer Instruction program is currently on hold, but we are still adding interested participants to the waiting list.
Home management workshops are group sessions where participants will discuss strategies and learn techniques to live more independently. Each workshop will focus on a specific topic area of home management. The Home Management program is currently on hold, but we are still adding interested participants to the waiting list.
Enrichment & Support Programs
- Story Telling (Ongoing weekly): Learn about different types of stories and experiment in writing your own.
- Yoga for All (Ongoing through December): Get your blood flowing with this exciting program! No previous experience required and experienced Yogi’s are welcome.
- Trivia (Ongoing weekly): Test your knowledge and have fun at the same time. This is an exciting way to keep your mind stimulated and learn a variety of tidbits to share with your friends.
- History Club (Ongoing weekly): The ASB history club travels around the world studying the history of many countries, people, and cultures through readings and discussions. U.S. history, ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians, the Romans, and the Greeks, the kingdoms of Africa, and ancient China are just some of the places and times we will explore.
- Story Circle (Ongoing weekly): Listen to an exciting array of current stories and enjoy a lively discussion.
- 60 Minutes to Better Self Care (Ongoing weekly): Want to learn how to improve your health during COVID-19 and beyond? Join this group to learn how to combat depression, anxiety, Alzheimer’s Disease and much more.
- Movement with the PA Ballet (Eight sessions, starting 9/22/21): These remote workshops will focus on the physical technique and artistry of ballet and movement. Attendees will be encouraged to tell their stories through movement, promoting the idea that communication need not be verbal or visual. You will also learn about the physical health benefits that consistent movement has on the body and mind.
- Women’s Peer Support Group (Next group forming soon): Join this group to discuss issues facing women who are Blind or experiencing vision loss.
- Remember When (Ongoing weekly): Are you over the age of 70? Would you like to share what your life was like as a child and growing up? Join us and share your stories. We hope to share some of these on our ASB website.
- Men’s Peer Support Group (Next group forming soon): Having difficulty talking with friends and family about your loss of vision? Join this group and share thoughts and ideas with peers.
- AARP (Ongoing weekly): Want to learn the latest news for the Silver Panthers? Join this group to see how AARP is working for you.
- Speaker Series (Ongoing bi-weekly): ASB will welcome professionals from health and other fields to speak to our participants for an hour about topics that are important to health and welfare, finance, legal assistance and much more!
- Keeping Up with the Times (Ongoing weekly): Feeling isolated? Not aware of what is happening outside? Join this group for lively discussions on COVID-19, social distancing and what is happening in the world around you.