Education and Training Programs
iPhone and Computer Instruction
Beginner and Advanced iPhone and Computer Instruction are offered in small groups. iPhone instruction will teach the basic skills for using your phone with Voiceover and gestures. Computer instruction will teach the basic skills for using your computer with JAWS. Or sharpen the skills you already have in the advanced class!
Students will be scheduled either for Monday & Thursday or Tuesday & Friday lessons. Lesson times, start dates and end dates will be set directly with the instructor. There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away depending on the instructor’s availability.
IOS VoiceOver Accessible App Workshops
A variety of iPhone App Workshops will be offered this spring, also in small groups. All interested ASB participants are welcome to attend. No iPhone experience is necessary, just an interest in using an iPhone with apps that can make a positive difference in your life.
Tuesdays from April 6 through May 11
- AIRA & Be My Eyes: Learn how to access sighted assistance anytime, anywhere for any task you can imagine!
- Newsline: Learn how to read magazines and newspapers from all over the world.
- BARD: Learn how to search for, download and listen to books and magazines.
Wednesdays from April 7 through May 13
- Instacart: Learn how to shop online and have groceries delivered right to your front door!
- Q&A Workshop: Want to learn about different apps? Looking for a quick app overview? Have iPhone app questions? Then, this workshop is for you. Email email@example.com with your app overview request.
Thursdays from April 8 through May 13
- Seeing AI and Tap Tap See: Learn how to independently read mail, printed documents, product barcodes, use facial recognition, identify money and more!
- Amazon: Learn how to shop online and have anything you desire delivered right to your front door!
- iOS Health: Learn how to set up a medical ID, track how many miles you have walked and more.
Please Note: These workshops will not occur on April 27, 28 and 29. All App Workshop classes will resume the following week. This break in programming is only for the iPhone App Workshops. All other ASB activities will continue as scheduled.
Orientation without Mobility
This class will enable the participant to learn to mentally map a route to and from any destination within the city using compass directions. While walking or using public transit, this knowledge will enable a person, sighted or not, to maintain their direction and recover any misdirection they may make.
Students will be scheduled for sessions on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Lesson times, start dates and end dates will be set directly with the instructor. There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away depending on the instructor’s availability.
Braille lessons offer an opportunity for students to learn the Unified English Braille code and increase their braille fluency. Lessons focus on both reading and writing, which helps foster independence and employability for students.
Lessons are available Monday through Friday. Lesson times, start dates and end dates will be set directly with the instructor. There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away depending on the instructor’s availability.
Home management workshops are 1-hour group sessions where up to 10 participants will discuss strategies and learn techniques to live more independently. Each workshop will focus on a specific topic area of home management.
There is a waiting list for this program, meaning you may not be able to start right away depending on the instructor’s availability.
The following Home Management workshops will be offered April through June:
- Banking Services and Using Cash
- Basic Housekeeping Skills
- Calculations and Basic Telephone Skills
- Color Coordination
- Dining Out With Confidence
- Grocery Shopping
- Hand Sewing and Simple Repair
- Medication Management
- Time Keeping
Enrichment & Support Programs
- Story Telling (April 5 through May 21): Learn about different types of stories and experiment in writing your own.
- Yoga For All (Next session coming soon!): Get your blood flowing with this exciting program! No previous experience required and experienced Yogi’s are welcome.
- Trivia (Ongoing weekly): Test your knowledge and have fun at the same time. This is an exciting way to keep your mind stimulated and learn a variety of tidbits to share with your friends.
- Story Circle (Ongoing weekly, starting April 6): Listen to an exciting array of current stories and enjoy a lively discussion.
- History Club (Ongoing weekly, starting April 6): The auditory book A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn will be played for the consideration of the participants. The author has taken historic information from letters, diaries and legal records of people who lived during the time being discussed. While historical figures are mentioned they are not the center of the conversation. It’s the actions these figures took and how they affected the people of that time. Currently, the book will cover America’s history from the 1900’s to the present.
- Diabetes Information & Support (Ongoing weekly): Learn about ways you can keep your Diabetes under control, how this disease effects your body, and how to eat sensibly and still enjoy what you are eating.
- 60 Minutes to Better Self Care (Ongoing weekly): Want to learn how to improve your health during COVID-19 and beyond? Join this group to learn how to combat depression, anxiety, Alzheimer’s Disease and much more.
- Women’s Peer Support Group (March 25 through May 20): Join this group to discuss issues facing women who are Blind or Visually Impaired.
- Remember When (Ongoing weekly): Are you over the age of 70? Would you like to share what your life was like as a child and young person? How many changes in technology have you seen throughout your lifetime? Join us and share your stories. We hope to share some of these on our ASB website.
- Men’s Peer Support Group (April 8 through June 3): Having difficulty talking with friends and family about your loss of vision? Join this group and share thoughts and ideas with peers.
- AARP (Ongoing weekly): Want to learn the latest news for the Silver Panthers? Join this group to see how AARP is working for you.
- Speaker Series (Ongoing weekly): ASB will welcome professionals from health and other fields to speak to our participants for an hour about topics that are important to health and welfare, finance, legal assistance and much more!
- Keeping Up with the Times (Ongoing weekly): Feeling isolated? Not aware of what is happening outside? Join this group for lively discussions on COVID-19, social distancing and what is happening in the world around you.